Pages

Thursday 12 March 2009

An anatomy lesson

One thing my husband is very good at is waking T when he leaves for work in the morning. Sometimes it's in the slam of the bathroom door and the creak of the shower screen, sometimes it's in the stomping up the attic stairs to find a CD to listen to in the car on the way in, and sometimes (like this morning) it's the noise caused when he tips a pocketful of change out on the carpet and picks it all up in a big jingly heap (what is it about men and change? I never have any coins, well, I never have any money at all really, but he's never without half a pound of assorted copper, plus a few random Euro and a couple of Dimes).

One thing I am not very good at is being tolerant when this happens. I have found out the hard way that if I fully wake up at 4.30 am, that's me for the day, no amount of counting sheep or deep breathing is going to get me back to sleep. This morning then, in true grumpy pregnant wife style, I grunted something about him putting T back in with me to resettle, and rolled over and went back to sleep, my personal hot water bottle sleeping horizontally with his head nuzzled into my shoulder.

It was a bit of a shock then to be woken with a poke, then another, and then a very hard pull. Welome to the toddler anatomy lesson, your baby's way of saying he cares. This morning, I half came too with the small fingertips pushing at my nose, and the hot breath saying 'nooooooose' right next to my cheek. I rolled over, sure it wasn't yet time to get up, allowing a small finger the opportunity to explore my 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeear'. He pulled my 'aaaaaaair', yanking my head back onto the pillow. I scrunched up my eyes, sure that this must be happening to someone else, remember the days you naturally came too? Sun peeping in at the window? Birds tweeting? Long gone I'm afraid. He poked me in the peepers .... 'eyyyyyyyye' he said. Then he clapped. I muttered something vaguely related to 'well done darling, very clever', and rolled over again, putting the pillow over my head to protect my face for a few more early morning moments.

'Boooooo!'
he yelled. I sighed, and got up to go to the loo, the sound of his exclamations growing only slightly fainter as I closed the bathroom door. Someone remind me of this the next time I get excited about some new words!

No comments: